Details about our practices for a reduced-allergen, green environment.
We care about providing a space that is kind to your body and to the environment.   Please let us know in advance of your arrival if we can do anything to make your stay more pleasant.
- We wash sheets and towels in dye-free, purfume-free laundry detergent
- We use "dryer balls" in the dryer, instead of fabric softener or dryer sheets
- We do not use room fresheners
- Instead, we have high-end "fragrance beads" in each room, but they can be easily removed in advance
- We use all cotton sheets and towels.   (Expect some light wrinkles in the sheets.)
- We use chlorine bleach on the towels periodically, but then double-rinse them.
- The guest rooms have air conditioning with separate controls for each guest room.  (One room could open windows while the other uses air conditioning.)
- We have wonderful radiant hot water heat. No blowers. No dust. (And no old fashioned "radiators"!   The radiant heat units are fastened along the baseboards and have a protective cover.)
- We have plenty of hot water...through an ingenious method that makes double use of the very hot water heating the home.   Ask us about it!   It was custom designed, just for our B&B!
- We routinely use all cloth (i.e. napkins) and avoid throw-aways.
- We endeavor to use all natural or whole food ingredients, rather than pre-made mixes.
- We buy locally when possible. This applies to not only the produce, but also the jams & jellies, honey, tea, steel-cut oats, fresh flowers, sausage, maple syrup, etc.
- We buy "Fair Trade" when possible.
- We will clean your room in advance of your stay with alternative products (i.e. plain water or white vinegar) if you request it.
- You may expect some dust in a house of this age.   Even a few hours after cleaning, it finds its way to the surfaces!
- There is no "wall-to-wall" carpet in the house, but most rooms have an area rug on a hardwood floor.
- We can create a breakfast to meet any dietary need or restriction, with advance notice.
- We permit guests to bring pets.   If you have an allergy to any pets, please mention in advance,
so we don't also book a guest traveling with an animal in the next room.   After a guest with a pet
leaves, we take extra care to remove all animal hair and dander from the room.
- Note that two indoor/outdoor cats reside in the Innkeeper's Quarters, but they do not enter the guest areas of the Bed & Breakfast.